Monday 10 October 2011

75% of Renewable Energy by 2050 ?

That very question is stuck in my mind for a while. At first, I believe that it is impossible to achieve even 50% of renewable energy in 2050. However, considering the progress so far that have been made, I think it is not mission impossible after all.


Interesting Points
Now, what is that promising renewable energy we are talking about? From my point of view, I honestly believe that solar energy is the answer! Prof shared something interesting actually in class : Sahara project. Sahara project, in 2050, is planned to be able to provide 50% of the total energy consumed by the world. What does Sahara desert have? It has 2 things : sand and sun. Now, what do we need? I believe that Sahara desert project, if implemented correctly, will be one of the main source of energy that we are going to depend on in the near future. On the other hand, one must not overlook the stumbling stones that will one definitely find along the way : the price and mindset of our people. To be honest, I am a little bit skeptical about the problem of pricing problem. Is the price, which is money and time, worth the result? Well, it is up to the world to decide it...

Here is the video to further explain the amazing concept !


Class Presentation
One of my peer's presentation that I think is quite interesting is the biomass energy power from methane by Ellisa. Who cares about biomass energy? Currently, not many; but, soon, people will be considering this concept. Biomass, especially from methane, can be found practically everywhere. I still remember clearly what Prof said, that even the 'gas' we 'throw away' every time even has methane in its composition. What if there is a device in the future that can disseminate the composition from anything so we can take out the methane? That would be awesome, I guess.

Further Discussion
In Singapore, what do you think is the most efficient yet 'harmless' way of creating a new source of renewable energy? Should we apply rooftop solar power like in Germany?

I would personally rate this class 8 out of 10 ! I like the topic and the way Prof taught us is really intriguing. I hope the next session will be as interesting as this one :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment